Can love and disability co-exist?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

lexibear
    Participant

Hey, I am Alexa. I am ready to find my true love. But I am having trouble because they can’t seem to look past my disability. I once had a guy tell me that I was the perfect woman but I had a disability so he could never date me. Does anyone else have this issue???

skyman
    Participant

I never ever had a girlfriend relationship with anyone.

robbob

Hello black single man with a Disability that is looking for a woman who is ready to date. I’m in the Memphis area

robbob

Hello Alexa now if a guy can’t see past your disability he’s not worth your time.
    I to have a disability but I don’t let that stop me so what I’m saying is don’t let anyone get you down

nevergivingup
    Participant

I do feel your pain ! I have been engaged twice ! and once they saw me have a siezer they called it off :(. I am older now too , so finding a good, single man is hard enough. But through a disability in the mix and … I have been hardened a lot by my expereance with having two failed engagments and both men said it was do to my health that they had to call it off. I do so hope you can find a true love and prove me wrong !

willing2care
    Participant

I have had girlfriends with Turners syndrome and Apert syndrome. They both where great people and we thought we has a future together but they both died. I would date a woman with disabilities again, they have hearts full of love and are very appreciative of a gentleman who treats them with respect. Anyone here that is near New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma, etc. should send me a message, I will reply. I would go even further if you are willing to relocate. God bless you all.

tentaclesandtea
    Participant

Hey Alexa, I hear ya. Everyone has said some really great things so far, just wanted to say that you aren’t alone. I’ve been engaged twice and I’m 22. If they can’t be there for you when you actually need them to be, they don’t deserve your time. I’ve made that mistake too many times now. I wish you the best, feel free to message me anytime if you feel like chatting. 🙂

anjalilnoronha
    Participant

I hear ya. I was rejected by someone who was a friend and possibly more because of my autism. My heart was hardened but I found love again. She accepts me for who I am. I still question it though and think does she really love me and why. Feel free to message me anytime you want to talk Alexa.

matty3800
    Participant

I’m on here looking to meet someone who is ready to go on the love boat once again and hopefully see where the road leads to

limitedmobility
    Participant

If your just starting, you’ll probably have more success with another disabled person.l have MS and l married a woman with MS. She recently passed away, but it was the best 23 years of my life. They bond between us was unbreakable.caring for eachother brings the best out of a person.

krypticmonkey
    Participant

Anyone who is unwilling or unable to “look past your disability” isn’t worth your time!

It can be frustrating, disappointing, and even depressing to meet someone who’s comfort zones are microscopic to the point where they perceive people with disabilities negatively.

This doesn’t mean you should relegate your search to only people with disabilities. I have had relationships with “able-bodied” women who didn’t give a rat’s ass that I was disabled or in a wheelchair.

Don’t be discouraged. And definitely don’t give up! =)

newknee
    Participant

thought I found love twice in my 20’s first time

my friend told get a job, I started working 2 jobs, and she got 2 Ph.D.’s.

the other one was spoiled and she made a *** of herself and was asked to leave

a 75’th birthday of a grandparent Now older and wiser now I’m in my 60’s.

you really need to go slowly and don’t rush into it.

NEWKNEE

joeythegamer1
    Participant

Same here, unfortunately…

ericsoul2019
    Participant

Love and disablity will put to a challenge. There is no doubt about that.

Even disabled women/men want a cute partner ( at least most of them) just like what we see from the non-disabled culture

People put a lot of interest in physical appearance more than anything else, which is the reason dating can be pretty difficult.

I get rejected so many times in my life for just saying hello ( no kidding here.)

But, I have heard good things happen for some folks. This is why it is good advice to have faith. Love does happen, and it co-exists with our disability ( rare, but it happen.)

tj727
    Participant

I am about to already give up on all these sites I’m intellectually delayed and have seizures and my mom got me a subscription to like 4 sites and the only women who are interested have no pictures and are my moms age. Heck my mom is having to write this stuff for now I am not used to it. I have always been shy but when I get talking I get going. I guess all these girls are out of my league. My socialization skills just suck. I just assume I’ll live at home all my life. No such thing as true love

thewheeldeal

Well I realize this is an old topic but I am new here so I’ll go ahead and put in my two cents worth. First of all let me say I am new to being disabled. I’ve only been in a wheelchair for 2 years. At the time of my injury I was in a relationship and we had been seeing each other for 6 years. After my accident when I was told I may never walk again she decided that the relationship was not working.
    While yes it did hurt I am not sure I am ready to throw in the towel just yet. Do I think it will be easy to find love again? Yes. Will it be easy No. Are the odds against me? Yes. I do understand that the likelihood of me finding someone who will love me the way I am are slim. At the same time what I look for in a relationship and how I approach dating has changed. I don’t look to get into a romantic relationship with any lady. I know it will take time and for anyone to fall in love with someone like me would take a strong foundation in friendship. I no longer go into a relationship with romance as the end game. It is strictly friendship and then see what happens.

smancent
    Participant

Yes, so long as two parties choose to accept, support and love each other. It is still possible.

smancent
    Participant

Loving someone with a disability is challenging. But somehow love prevails to really accept that love and disability co-exist.

macveery
    Participant

I have a co-worker who has a polio disability. She is pretty, very hardworking, kind, intelligent. Sadly she is having a hard time getting into dates until she gave up and told her self that she won’t find somebody who will accept her. It is heartbreaking to see and feel. 🙁

justagoof78
    Participant

OK, this one is an old topic, but I figured I’d drop a reply here all the same, because no matter the length of time, this is an important one. Here’s the thing. When it comes to love and relationships, regardless of disability, there has to be a solid foundation. I can tell you from personal experience, I’m blind, have been all my life, but have had a number of very successful and fulfilling relationships. The very first lovely lady I dated was a c4 quadriplegic. Literally, she was our eyes, I was our physical strength. She and I went everywhere together. I learned to properly care for her, and she learned to help me with all those little things that not having sight causes to be frustrating. She and I spent almost 4 lovely and wonderful years together…and if you are wondering, yes, there was very much intimacy, though it was probably on a much deeper level than some ever get to experience. We did eventually part ways, but the parting had absolutely nothing to do with either of our disabilities. She moved several states away to attend a college, and long distance took it’s toll on us regardless of my willingness to travel. She isn’t the only lady I’ve dated who had disabilities, and yes, I’ve dated “normal” people too though honestly I have decided that most of the time, those who don’t have some sort of disability have a much more difficult time understanding those little things that challenge each of us every single day of our lives. For those of you reading this who have had failed relationships, My advice is don’t give up. For those of you who are reading this and are wondering if you’ll ever find someone who can look past your disability, I say two things. first, why should they look past it, why not embrace it, it’s a small part of what makes you, who you are. Secondly, if they aren’t willing to adapt, as previously stated in this thread by others, they truly aren’t worth your time. I’m looking forward to the next chapter of my life, and if that means that another wonderful someone is going to walk into my life, I’m absolutely open to it, and hope none of you use disability as a reason to be discouraged. Sending thumbs up signs from the southeastern US.

patriotic1
    Participant

Cool

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Questions or Concerns?

Have a question about Special Bridge? Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Contact Us
Mailing List Signup

By subscribing to our mailing list you will always be up-to-date with the latest Special Bridge news and articles.

Your privacy is always important to us. We will not give your name or email address to any third-parties.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

Your privacy is important to us and we will never rent or sell your information.

CREATE ACCOUNT ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up